Saturday, June 7, 2008

Battle Scars

So somehow, Katie and I got picked to be the girl wheelbarrow racers for the 5th hour French class at the Foreign Language Olympics. That was Wednesday. On Thursday, I challenged Gianni and Owen, (the guy wheelbarrow racers for our class), to a practice race against Katie and me. They agreed. So about 3/4 of the way through class on Thursday, Katie, Gianni, Owen and I went out into the language hall. I got down on my hands and knees, Gianni got down on his, Katie picked up my feet, Owen picked up Gianni's, "Ready, set... GO!!" I don't know who yelled it, but we took off. We were tied until about a third of the way down the hallway when the guys pulled ahead. Then Gianni flipped over because he thought they'd won- no one told him that, but he has some strange ideas sometimes. I kept on going because I distinctly remember us agreeing to go to the end of the hallway. Owen kept trying to get in my way and I was screaming at him to move. Then Gianni and Owen realized suddenly that we were still going and they were technically about to lose. So Gianni got up and started running towards the end of the hallway. Katie started panicking and was like, "Go, go, go!" Then she threw me, or dropped me or something. I'm not quite sure what happened, but holy smokes, it hurt!! The main contact points were my right hip and ankle. At first it hurt too much and I was too stunned to move. All that was going through my head was, "Don't cry, you're perfectly fine. Just get up, you'll be fine." So I propped myself on my right elbow. Katie came and sat down in front of me, her back against a wall. We were both laughing and watching Gianni and Owen do their little victory dance, the little cheaters!! After a little while I actually sat up because some of the kids from Spanish and German had come out and were looking at us like we were crazy. I was still laughing and saying, "Ow, Katie!! Ow!!" Sam came over and helped me up and I limped back to the starting end of the hallway to put my shoes on. I noticed that my hand was really hurting. "I must've scraped it a little," I thought to myself. I looked down at my hand. There was this little chunk of skin hanging off the corner of my palm, leaving an open circle of flesh about the size of dime. I grimaced. Katie came over and I showed her. "We should get a Band-Aid on that," she said. So we went and asked Madame if she had a Band-Aid. She didn't but sent us up to the Red House Office to get one. The secretary was out to lunch, so we went to the Gold House. We got a Band-Aid and went to the Bathroom to wash my hand off. Wow, that was painful!! But of course we'd gone to the bathroom with only hand dryers, so we had to go back to Madame's room and I used some Kleenex to get the dirt out and stuff. Then I got Allie to put the Band-Aid on for me because I was in so much pain I couldn't use my hands deftly enough to get the stupid thing on. It still stung like crazy for another 5 minutes or so. Later I found out that I had also scraped the skin off my elbow. I was a little nervous about doing the real race yesterday at Vets. I didn't know how much it would hurt and was sure I'd make a complete fool of myself. About halfway through the race my Band-Aid flew off and it was my open wound against grass and dirt. That was NOT comfortable!! But I kept on going. AND KATIE AND I WON!! But I did have to go wash my hand off and put a fresh Band-Aid off and grit my teeth until the stinging stopped. But all in all it was worth it!!

Kisses
Abbsters
P.S. We leave for Chicago at 5 am on MONDAY!!!

My wound that hurts really bad!!

9 comments:

Kathryn said...

that's a really strange picture. is it your ankle? your strangely shaped arm? a hunk of bone and flesh?

AbbyJP said...

You didn't read the post, did you??

Kathryn said...

I did read every single word! But i still don't know what the picture is...

James Anderson said...

OW.

AbbyJP said...

IT'S MY HAND, KATH!!

Kathryn said...

oooooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!! that makes a lot more sense!!!!!!! oh yeah, you mean the hand that a dime flew into and crashed or something

Kathryn said...

really, though, you can't see your thumb or any of your fingers making it a fairly undistinguishable part of your body...

Anonymous said...

Abby, did Kath really read that? Yes, it's your dime-sized wound. Are you really sure you should have done that relay after getting that huge "battle wound?" Take care of yourself.

Kathryn said...

Tell me what kind of car that is on your header pic and I'll google it, save it, and make it better in photoshop. or give me a whole list of cars to google and I'll put them all into photoshop...