Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shaking things up

This summer I read Do Hard Things: a Teen Rebellion against Low Expectations by twin brothers Alex and Brett Harris. I thought it was really well written and was a great way to end a summer of trips and such that really grew me in my faith. It kind of brought everything I learned together; it helped me find the "so now what" I had been looking for. Since I read their book I have been periodically, (not religiously or even frequently, just periodically!), checking their website. Today I found this article on death. It's ironic because I recently had a conversation with a friend about death. I don't fear death. I don't wish for it, but I don't fear it either. I'm interested in your comments on this subject. So.....

Kisses,
Abbsters

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

um...death. I don't think about it. Of course, I did write my will out just in case. But I really don't think about it that much. ANd I do imagine my funeral if I died tomorrow all the time, but I really don't contemplate it all that much. Of course, sometimes I spend my time lying in bed trying to get to sleep wrangling with the overpower concept of death. Do I think I should think about it? Right now, studying for the geometry quiz I have TOMORROW is WAY more important so I think I'll be going now.

Grace said...

I know I shouldn't be fearful of death, but it can be a little scary, especially when my faith isn't at it's strongest. At least we can be sure of our salvation. But what does scare me is how I'm going to die, because I don't like being hurt. So that's my thinking about death.

Kathryn said...

Are you kidding me? Whenever you get scared, just think about the tragic heroines of the epic tales who died a heroic death and picture yourself as being one of them. Pale and serene, tranquil and untouched, marked by the scars of a brave and valiant warrior. Quixotic much? Maybe. But am I they quixotic type?!

Kathryn said...

i'm at school working on a really nice month old mac and posting a comment! this is just about as cool as school gets...

Grace said...

our school has nothing but macs. They're all over the place, in the media center, with the teachers, on carts. They're pretty nice. They have lots of fouf, which I guess is okay. I also used to feel confined w/o a right click button. Now I know: it's ctrl click.

Kathryn said...

I'm at school again working on the same really nice mac! I love macs! aaaahhh!!

Kathryn said...

this might seem like a dumb question, but what's fouf?