Saturday, December 20, 2008

Bound to Happen

I totaled our 1997 Honda Odyssey today. My dad and I are both totally fine, thanks be to God. As many of you are aware I'm sure it has been quite snowy around here lately. Today was going to be a great chance to practice some winter driving, especially because Dad and I were going to be delivering gifts for the Angel Tree project at Knox. Everything was going great. I had driven to Knox with no problems, (minus getting stuck getting out of the driveway in the snow bank the snow plow had left at the bottom of the driveway). Then it was time to merge onto the freeway. I was doing pretty well, considering the fact I'm not a fan of freeways. I was checking my blind spot, I was up to speed, I was very well aware of the semi truck that wasn't visibly slowing down and was adjusting my speed accordingly. However, as I was concentrating on the semi I had started to drift towards the right, where there was a ton of snow. My dad warned me to stay to the left and when I checked where I was going it looked like I was about to veer off the road. I wasn't but worrying about the semi had messed with my perception. I over-steered, and over-steered sharply. Anyone who has driven in snow knows that the number one thing you never do is accelerate, brake or turn sharply; you'll lose control of the vehicle. Just like I did. We shot right across all three lanes, (in front of the semi), and slammed into the median wall. Then the car bounced off and spun around and our rear end slammed into the wall and we were stuck on the snow/wall. The airbags deployed and the car filled with smoke. My dad was great. I would've panicked if he hadn't been so calm. A woman pulled over and asked us if we were ok and called 911. Someone had already called, (I assume in a passing car), and five minutes later an ambulance showed up. They put flares out to warn other drivers we were there then waited for the police man to show up. He showed up about 10 minutes later, a soft spoken young man, probably around 25 years old. He looked at the car, asked my dad to drive it across the freeway to the shoulder and got a tow truck to come. The best part is that he just gave me a warning and let us go. God was looking out for us today. 

Kisses,
Abbsters

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

i dont know what to say! well, your perspective is more detailed and you must've been SO SCARED. I would've COMPLETELY...completely something, i don't know what but i would've completely something...

Anonymous said...

God was watching over you today girl!

Doug said...

Good to know you are ok.

So you wrecked the car, oh man, your grounded like forever now...

If the car was 'wrecked', and your dad was able to drive it, then it was not totally destroyed. Lets see some pictures.

AbbyJP said...

I'll work on that Doug. Its really not that impressive, but I did some damage fo sho!

Doug said...

I think it happens to everyone when they start driving. I didn't start driving until I was 19. About a week or two after I got my full license I was pulling out of the end of our side street only to end up having someone clip the rear left side of the full size van I had at the time.

The pickup that hit me was the biggest piece of junk you ever saw, we exchanged insurance info, but nothing ever came of it (no tickets, no cops, no claims). For the next three years I had the van it always had a fair size dent below the rear brake light (I didn't see any reason to have the dent fixed on a 10 year old van).

Grace said...

Thank God you're okay.

James Anderson said...

Have you told your mom yet???
If I were in your situation I wouldn't because she would kill me :).

sorry that happened to you, I hope you can shake that experience off and get back on the road again!

Darrell Anderson said...

Abby, Doug knows something about this sort of thing. This one time, at crit practice, there was this pothole and...

Doug said...

Hey, despite all the damage I have done to the bike over five years of racing, it has always been repaired. And the frame is only scratched, no dents :P. And the car, well, you cannot even tell the driver’s door use to be green... :).

ellen said...

I'm so glad that you too are ok. That must have been scary! Yap, that's right - never over-steer, accelerate or break too fast on snow or dirt road for that matter (that's another story.)