Saturday, September 20, 2008

Life at PI HI

6:00 am- My cell phone alarm goes off. I sleepily reach for it, flip it open and turn it off. Once again I question why I'm getting up this early. Finally, I roll out of bed and get ready for the day. 
7:05 am- Greta knocks on the front door and, if it's Monday, Wednesday of Friday, comes in and collapses on our couch to wait for Jean. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I grab my backpack and we walk over to Jean's for the ride to school.
7:15 am- The three of us are dropped off at the clocktower entrance of Pioneer where we meet up with EJ, who is usually sitting on "her" bench after biking to school. When we enter the school, Greta goes left toward her locker in B Wing, EJ and Jean take the stairs just inside the clocktower entrance to their lockers on C2 and C3 and I take C1 to my locker in D1, (yes it's confusing and don't worry if you don't remember any of this later). After going to my locker, I head to French, using the same stairs Jean and EJ used earlier to get to room C210. I love my french teacher. She's so funny and makes learning french fun and interesting. It feels a lot less like work and more like something I'm just doing for the fun of it, not because I wouldn't graduate if I didn't. Which I guess is partly true anyway! 
7:40 am- The bell rings for school to start. In french I sit in the same spot everyday, behind Annie, next to Olivia who's behind EJ. 
8:35 am- The bell rings for first hour to end, which means that I have 8 minutes to get to second hour. I need only one or two because my next class is biology in room C110. In other words I go down the stairs, turn left, take like 10 steps and I'm there. Six minutes later, the two minute warning bell rings and two minutes later the final bell for the start of second hour rings. Sometimes there will be announcements for the day during this hour, so second hour is five minutes longer than every other hour. Now about the actual class I'm in at this time! I really like my biology teacher, but I find the subject itself quite boring. Of course that's a purely subjective opinion because I've never particularly liked science. The students in the class are quite interesting though. About 3/4 of the class are sophomores and juniors who either failed the class before or took a different science class their freshman year. Katie, Emma G. and I really stand out because we care about our grades, care about our appearance and aren't as quiet as the grave all the way through class. It creates a very interesting dynamic to say the least!
9:43 am- Geometry class begins. That's about the most condemning sentence I will write in this whole post. I've not been impressed with my teacher and it doesn't help that I don't even find the subject she's teaching interesting in the first place. The only part of that class I like at all is sitting with Jean and Annie. Jean never fails to make me laugh so the class isn't wholly unbearable. 
10:46 am- I'm finally free from the boringness of geometry class. Emma G. and I leave room D111 and head down the hall a little ways to my locker where I replace the morning stuff in my backpack for the afternoon stuff waiting in my locker. Then we head outside, cross the courtyard, go through the Big Gym to A Hall where Emma's locker is. From there we go to the cafeteria, which is one of three places for sophomores and freshmen to eat- juniors and seniors have open campus. I say three but there are really four- the Big Gym, the courtyard, the big cafeteria and the little cafeteria. The cafeterias are divided by a moving wall, just to confuse the freshman on their first day of school. OK, that's not the real reason but it seemed like it on the first day of school!
11:21 am- EJ, Annie and I head to C227 for English 9. Another VERY boring class. But this is a different kind of boredom. This is a stifling kind of boredom because I know I have potential in that class that my teacher isn't letting me reach. We're reading Of Mice and Men and so far we've drawn the bunkhouse, taken two vocab quizzes and done a vocab exercise that involved drawing a picture for each of our vocab words. I'm starting to get confused about whether I'm in an art class or an English class...
12:30 pm- Personal fitness class time! It's not my favorite class at all, but I don't hate it. We don't have to do a ton, our teacher's cool and I've made a couple new friends. Jamie is in my geometry class as well and I've gotten to know her pretty well. She went to a private Catholic school last year so Pioneer is a pretty big switch for her. She seems to have adjusted really well though. Sophia probably doesn't really count because she was on the Slauson soccer team last year but we weren't really friends before. Now we are! Evan totally doesn't count but it's cool having him in that class even if we like never talk because he's got friends who are willing to slack off with him. They make us laugh though and provide some competition for Lightning Fast Sophia. Robby's tried to beat her a couple time and has failed MISERABLY. It's pretty entertaining. Personal fitness will get more boring though because now that I've started physical therapy for my knees I'm not allowed to run. Unfortunately, a huge chunk of personal fitness is running. So I get to walk whenever everyone else is running. Party.
1:33 pm- Oh choir. I'm starting to wish I had listened to Evan and tried out for Bel Canto, (the higher level choir), when I had the option. Cantando is an easy "A" which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means that the class is quite boring. About half of the period every day is spent trying to get one of the foreign exchange students to sing the same pitch as everyone else. This always consists of going around the room and each girl singing the pitch. It used to really bug me and make me nervous, but I've realized that I have nothing to worry about. Mrs. Westerman, (and Mr. Hart before her), taught me to hear a pitch and match it very well. I haven't missed it once. Now, singing a pitch or a few pitches on my own for the class is as natural as breathing and as expected as the sun rising each morning. I really like Mr. Westerman actually and think very highly of him as a teacher.
2:35 pm- After walking from choir with Emi and Katie, (although now that Emi's moving on Monday it will just be Katie and me *tear*), history class starts. At the beginning of the year, I had a teacher that made this class the bane of my academic existence. She had never taught history before and really didn't know what she was talking about. However, about a week and a half into the school year, the school administrators decided that they wanted another history teacher for first hour and that they only needed two history teachers for seventh hour, so my class got split in half and half of us went to one teacher and the other half to another teacher. Both halves are much happier now. My new history teacher really knows the material and I like her a lot. She's very committed to making sure that our switch doesn't hurt our grade at all. 
3:30 pm- The dismissal bell rings and seventh hour is over and I'm free to go home! The rest of my day is doing homework, eating dinner and crashing into bed to start the whole thing all over again!

Kisses,
Abbsters

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are lucky ( blessed) to know so many people in your classes. And you have a lot of classes compared to me. Abby, how can you not just LOVE Biology. It's like my favorite subject in all of school. I do agree that physics and chemistry isn't interesting for me yet, but Biology. oh, sweet biology. I love it. If you don't like it, then bye bye to hope for the med student's wish for you.

Kathryn said...

that was almost the carbon copy of my day at saline except for it was at pioneer. I don't think that sentence made much sense but you probably get what I'm trying to say anyway. I do not like biology (just wanted to make that clear) studying for biology quizzes and tests has frequently been the bane, the ultimate bane of my existance. Then I move on to geometry and my bane switches. I really want to do something besides go to school tomorrow. I hate my cell phone at 6 am. These are all random thoughts that are probably related to this post. I don't understand your C1 thing.

I think that's all I have to say about that.

Kathryn said...

I remembered something else I have to say. If you ever have a break that Saline doesn't, I want you to come shadow me at saline, ok? it'd be so cool, everyone from TP'd be so confused... : ) Then you could see crazy miss jonik and watch movies in history and pass ben grace and john pederson and colin driscoll and noah damoose and katie pederson and john alex and all those other knox people in the hall and it would be so funny...but i think I already said that.

Kathryn said...

well, aren't you going to say something. this is a serious idea you know...I am actually quite enraptured with the idea.

AbbyJP said...

Yes Kathryn, I think it is a wonderful idea

Grace said...

Kath, we have four extra days off that you guys don't I think. I have this friday off for the teacher's professional development day. They get four becasue they teach 15 extra minutes a day.

AbbyJP said...

Grace gets Friday off, I don't.

Kathryn said...

I didn't get friday off either. I had to go to this lame pep rally instead.

Grace said...

what's a pep rally?

Kathryn said...

A waste of your time aimed at getting students excited for a game, which I did not go to. NOT cool.