
I don't know how much y'all know about PlayPumps. Probably not a whole lot, considering most of the people I've talked to had no idea what a PlayPump was. A playpump is like one of those merry-go-rounds that kids run to spin it then jump on it and keep spinning. But while the kids are spinning, clean water is being pumped from aquifers underground into 2,500 liter resovoirs and piped to a tap that makes it easier for women and children to collect water for the family.
I first heard about PlayPumps when my geography teacher told our class about it. The inventor, Trevor Field, came to here and spoke at Rackham and at Slauson. Now we have a whole PlayPumps project up and running and right now are doing presentations in the 6th grade classrooms to try to get the 6th graders involved so that when my class leaves in another year, the PlayPumps project will continue. We'll later be presenting to 8th, 5th and 4th graders, to gat them all involved, but 6th graders were our priority. Yesterday I was a part of 3 presentations and to day I was a part of 2. Fun stuff! It's really interesting what different personalities come out during each presentation. Each class is different, so each presentation goes differently. I am really enjoying this whole thing and can't wait to see how the whole school gets involved.
Kisses,
Abbsters
p.s. here's a pic of a PlayPump


2 comments:
that's a cool idea!
Isn't this the one where you got a "boo-boo" on your cheek? Something about going around and posting stuff up, right?
The "boo-boo" is a tribute to all children that i babysit
Post a Comment