Sunday, February 25, 2007

Unselfishness

Over the past week I've been convicted to be less selfish. First of all, I've been reading "Extreme Devotion", a devotional book by Voice of the Martyrs. Each day there is a different story about a different martyr of group of martyrs. It's amazing that even children and teens, or maybe I should say especially children and teens, are able to hold fast to Christ and not recant their faith. There's one story about 13 children in I think Russia. There was a group of Christians doing a peaceful demonstration in a public square and at the front of the group was a line of children and I don't think any of them were older than 10 or 11. Soldiers were sent to stop the demonstration against Communism and when the children saw the soldiers coming, each innocent voice called out, "Please, don't shoot us!" When the soldiers kept advancing, the children knelt and called out again, "Please don't shoot us!" Not a child was left alive as they knelt humbly before the soldiers. There is now a memorial where the children were shot, but they shouldn't even have been shot. Only one example of Christians being unfairly killed. Although they are usually given a chance to recant their faith.
Secondly, I keep on hearing Tim McGraw's new song, "Last Dollar." There's a line in it that goes, "If I ain't got nothin' I've got nothin' to hold me back." It makes me think about all the ways I could be better used for Christ if I let go of some of the things that clutter my bedroom. There are kids all over the world who would give anything to live just one hour of my life. But there are also those who are content with their family, friends, and Christ. There's a young girl in Zambia who answered to the question of what she wanted most that she couldn't think of anything she needed because she had people to share Christ with, a loving brother and mother and her best friend, Jesus Christ. How could a girl who lives in a literal shack on a dirt floor with a couple raggend blankets for a bed and not even a certain meal say she didn't want anything from an American who could have easily found a way for her most basic needs to met? Only through Christ. Only through Christ.
Well, that's about it!

Kisses,
Abby

No comments: